USING MY LOAN
To get the most out of your loan, plan carefully before you begin building your home.
- What can I do with my new loan?
- How do I get the most out of my loan?
- Planning my new home
- What do I need to buy?
- What will it all cost me?
- Ordering building materials
- Storing building materials
What can I do with my new loan?
Congratulations! You have a new loan. There are many ways in which you can use your loan. You could:
- Build a fence around your home
- Connect to utilities- water harvesting or electricity
- Improve your house
- Extend* your house
- Build a new house
- Extend your home for your own business
- Build a toilet into your home or onto your property
- Put in a tank for holding rain water, or purchase solar panels** for electricity
How do I get the most out of my loan?
Although your loan may be small, you need to think about how you can get the most benefit from your money and from your savings, your own labour and your next housing loan. To do this, you must do the following:
Prioritise your needs
Make a list of all your needs, then decide which are the most important. Although this may seem difficult, remember that after you have repaid this loan, you could get another.
Decide how you could add to the building process
Do you have any savings you could use? Do you have a family member who could help with the building? Could you paint the house yourself? Could you get a government subsidy*** for housing, land or services? Could you make your own bricks? Could you reuse some of the building materials that you already have?
Choose your builder carefully
Be sure to get an experienced, reliable builder who will build you a good quality home or extension (for tips on how to do this, please click here – Getting the right builder).
Watch your builder every day to make sure that he does not make mistakes when building your home.
* Extend: Build a new room onto your house.
** Solar panel: Sun-powered batteries that produce electricity for your home.
*** Subsidy: One-off grants, payable by government in your name to get land, service or housing.